Pam is a 20 year veteran of the industry and has been with Deslaurier since 2004. An award winning Designer, she specializes in custom millwork, upscale builder clients, and renovations. Pam is a former Instructor at Algonquin College, who brings a wealth of industry knowledge with her.
Fab 5… Top Kitchen Trends to Watch For in 2015
1. Brass is Back: Believe it or not – it is! Think of it as brushed nickel’s “kissin’ cousin”. Not necessarily in the polished format you remember from the 80’s, but as a brushed or honed version, giving a sophisticated patina that can flow with any style; modern to urban chic. Metallics in general are big – dark metal hardware, warm coppers, shiny black metals… Even chrome can add a punch of bling. These finishes are popping up in faucets, cabinet hardware, lighting, pot racks, bar stools, and everything in between, including the kitchen sink!
2. Organic is Gigantic: Raw materials are in! Barn board panelling for the back of your island, reclaimed wood shelving with rustic metal brackets, recycled glass counter tops, exposed beams in the ceiling, and soapstone farm sinks are just a few ways to punch up your green décor. Add a bit of texture with a honed counter top or backsplash. Using water based stains and painted finishes keep VOC’s at bay, with a clean lined shaker style cabinet door – a true classic.
3. 50 Shades of Grey: Be it counter tops or cabinetry, stained or painted finishes, warm greys have a stronghold as our modern day neutral, and will for a while. Painted finishes are gaining in popularity every year, showing no sign of slowing down. In lieu of marrying yourself to a current neutral, opt for a timeless white with punches of grey in your backsplash and/or counter top. Four of Deslaurier’s top five painted finishes are variations of white and two-thirds of the Design Team have (or will have) a painted finish in their kitchen.
4. Rock of Ages: Quartz and Granite are neck in neck in terms of popularity based on stats from our local suppliers. Quartz has undeniably grown in popularity over the past five years due to its durability in comparison to granite’s porosity and maintenance. Opting for a subtle calm effect, quartz has more light coloured offerings without the concern and upkeep of a light granite or marble (that’s a whole other blog topic!). Want to add a punch to your swanky new island? Punch it up with an exotic granite that has lots of movement and contrast. Design Tip- if your island is your focal point, pick your slab first, and then design the island cabinetry to avoid a seam.
5. Go-Go-Gadget: Men buy gadgets, women invest in organization. Regardless which member of the sex you are, everyone likes the concept of making everyday life a bit easier. An accessory that helps with food storage, utensil organization, or keeper of the compost and recyclables, your choices are endless. A continuing and increasing trend towards garbage & recycling containment is a must in every kitchen. There are options for every living condition whether you’re in a condo or single family home. Roll out drawers in cabinets, tall pull out pantry shelves, or drawers wherever possible, help with accessibility. Statistics suggest, as the population ages, lifting up from a drawer is easier than lifting down from a wall cabinet. When looking at drawer options, full extension soft close drawers appeal to the door and drawer slammers… The heavy weight rating is an added bonus if loading up with pots & pans.